Tuesday, December 2, 2014

A year in the making


Over a year ago, I signed up for the Saturday Sampler at my local quilt shop. It's a 12 part monthly program.   Each month we were given fabrics and a pattern for one block.  If you complete the block and bring it to the next month's meeting, you get the next month's fabric and pattern for free.  Great motivation to keep up with the blocks!

The layout of the final quilt is a mystery, but as each month went by, a pattern seemed to emerge.  Each of the blocks was roughly based on a "Depression" block which looks like this:

At the end of 12 months, we had 12 blocks. 

It was fun to be working with so many Kaffe Fassett inspired fabrics. I had never worked with his bright bold fabrics before.

For the sashing, I decided to accentuate the effect of circular motion in each block.  Using Electric Quilt software, I came up with this setting:

Calculating the sashing was a bit of a challenge.  I needed long and short units,
mirror image units,

and also some picket fence units:

Eventually, I got it all sorted out, and the finished quilt looks like this:

I had the top quilted at my local quilt shop.  I love the way the spiral quilting accentuated the circles.   I gave the finished quilt to my daughter who had admired some of the early blocks when she saw me working on them.   The modern style, and the colors were just perfect for her.



post signature

5 comments:

  1. Love, love the way you set those blocks. The quilting sets it off perfectly! Sometimes those samplers can be tricky, but yours came together great. Lane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great setting! I love the circular effect. The quilting is perfect. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks wonderful, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! The setting shows off the blocks perfectly, and the quilting is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing! I love the setting--tricky but well worth it.

    ReplyDelete