Saturday, June 14, 2014

Modern Mini Mania


You may have noticed a bit of a trend toward mini quilts among the designers in the quilt world, and I couldn't be happier.  So far, I've made two of Camille Roskelley's mini patterns,   Mini Spools, and Mini Swoon.  Now I am working on Mini Puddle Jumping.

Compared to the Spools and Swoon quilts, which had 6" and 8" blocks,  this mini pattern truly is MINI. The finished blocks measure only 3".   When sewing together two 1" square blocks, there's hardly any room to hold on!  LOL!

 So, it's a bit more of a challenge, but I really enjoy making them.

Square-in-a-square blocks can be hard to make accurately, but the pattern calls for making them just slightly oversized, and then trimming them down.

Once again, I turned to my Tucker Trimmer ruler to do the trimming.  The lines on the ruler created a nice crosshair that I could use to center on the middle square, and get a nice even trim all around.

I only have one row sewn together so far, but with only 9 blocks in the whole mini quilt it won't take too long to get the rest put together.   Someday, I'd like to have a wall of mini's like this one, which belongs to none other than Camille Roskelley herself.




post signature

2 comments:

  1. I've tried to sew a 1" square and you are spot on - it's hard to hold on to those little suckers! But what cute quilts they end up being. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty and so tiny! I'm sure it's worth the effort when all is done. I love Camille's wall. I want one too!

    ReplyDelete