Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Sewing for a snowy day

The second installment of Monique Dillard's Blogger Girls BOM was posted on February 1st.  Here are the two blocks I made from this month's pattern:


I had a little trouble deciding on fabrics for the block on the left, because most of my 30's repro fabrics tend to read as "mediums" and it can be hard to get a good contrast.    I started out with  the pink fabric of Mary and her Little Lamb,  and worked from there.

Both blocks are made up of 8 Flying Geese units.  Monique's method for making the blocks uses a neat little "Fit to be Geese" ruler, but since I don't have one of those, I made mine using a ruler that I already had called the "Quick Trim and Circle Ruler", using the method I blogged about here.

It's not too late to get started on this quilt if you are interested.  By making 2 blocks each month, the timetable is only 6 months instead of the usual 12 for a Block of the Month.  I am enjoying seeing how much variety you can get in a block pattern just by rearranging the fabrics, and playing with these cheerful colors on on otherwise gloomy winter day.

post signature

4 comments:

  1. Two more wonderful blocks! I agree--it is so much fun to see how different you can make them look. As far as the "mediumness" of the thirties fabrics, so far it seems to be working really great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are so pretty and I love the fabrics you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fabrics are so pretty! The blocks remind me of spring which I wish was here already! Your BOM is going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have several feed sacks left to me by my mother - I just love them and these repros look just like them! I worked today on a little quilt, about 14" square, using the feed sacks in the apple core pattern. Love those fabrics! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete