Friday, January 31, 2014

Knitting lizards

Some of the women at my church have started up a Prayer Shawl Ministry.  The focus of the group is to knit or crochet shawls that will be donated to someone in need of comfort.  A few years ago, I wrote a blog post describing more about the idea of prayer shawls, and showing the one that my mother knitted for me.


I love the idea of knitting a prayer shawl, not only because of the comfort I hope it provides to someone who might need it, but also because they are straight forward, rectangular projects, and there are no pieces that have to fit together in the final product.

There are lots of patterns for shawls, but I had an idea of my own.  I turned to this book which I have had for more years than I would care to admit but never used.

It contains page after page of knitted pattern swatches showing an amazing variety of knitting stitches, and gives the pattern steps that make up the swatch.


I chose the following pattern, not because of it's name, but because I thought it would give an interesting texture to the shawl, and yet work up fast:

I don't know how "Lizards" relate to this stitch pattern, but after knitting a few rows, a very appealing woven pattern began to take shape:

I am enjoying the work as it grows, and with the Olympics coming up, I know what project I will be working on as I watch TV.

Check out  Patchwork Times to see what other knitters have on their needles this week.


post signature

7 comments:

  1. It's so nice that your church is starting a prayer shawl ministry. Mine has talked about doing this, too. Your shawl is going to be beautiful. Love the color and the pattern. Great idea to look in your book for a pattern that is different, but fun to make. Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that stitch pattern thanks for showing it big for the full effect best wishes with the prayer shawls

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this pattern. Great effect! I'm sure your shawl will be gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very effective and easy too, the shawl is going to be beautiful.
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of the women in our church have been knitting for a prayer shawl ministry for several years now - what a wonderful service. I have one a dear friend knitted for me before she moved away and I treasure it. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your prayer shawl is coming out beautifully! I love the color of the yarn you chose!

    ReplyDelete