Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Friendly Skies....






Once upon a time, which was really just last week, I was afraid to fly in an airplane.  It had been 14 years since I last crossed the threshold from walkway to jet.  A lot has changed about air travel since then.



A not-to-miss family celebration in Ann Arbor, Michigan was coming up, and I really wanted to go.  I knew the time had come to break the travel dryspell and get myself on an airplane, so we made reservations.  As an added incentive to fly, my husband told me to find a quilt shop in Ann Arbor where I could  treat myself to some fabric as a reward when we got there.

Friday morning came, and I found myself boarding the plane and climbing into the skies.  All the doubts I had about whether I could do it or not were put to rest at last.  (Okay, so a little medication helped!)

We got to the hotel and headed for the elevator.

A quilt block on the elevator floor was one of the first things to greet me!  I joked with my husband that I should use the design as an inspiration for a Michigan quilt.

On Saturday afternoon, we had a bit of free time and I had an opportunity to visit the quilt shop.  I looked through the patterns and what did I find?  This:

How perfect!  It was almost the same pattern as the design in the elevator floor!  Now I just knew it was meant to be.  My daughter was with me, and together we had fun pulling together the following fabric combination to use with the pattern.


The rest of the weekend was a wonderful, and the weather was perfect.  The return trip on the airplane was easy now that I had one trip under my belt.  I didn't even need the medication this time.

I can't wait to get started on my Michigan quilt which will represent so much more to me than just a serendipitous chain of events during a celebratory weekend.  It will remind me of all the encouragement I got from family and friends to make the trip,  my wonderful and understanding husband who came up with the perfect incentive,  a new found confidence that I can travel outside my comfort zone, and a fun and fabulous afternoon spent with my daughter.

Can't ask a quilt to do more than that!


post signature

9 comments:

  1. Auntie Em,
    Congratulations on taking that step. The elevator floor and pattern at the quilt shop were a sign that this was meant to be. You and your daughter picked out a great selection of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Auntie Em! Looking forward to
    seeing your beautiful Michigan quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You such a brave lady ,I have a fear of flying I just can't over come ,maybe I need some of your medication LOL .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy to hear you overcame your fear of flying... I share the same one. I haven't been on a plane since 1980. One of these days I'll get brave like you and give it a shot. Your Michigan quilt is going to be a beauty... love all those batiks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, meant to be. And the quilt will be gorgeous! I'm looking forward to seeing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! So glad you went to Michigan and got such an inspiration! I missed you tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the fabrics you picked out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great story and congratulations on confronting your fear (with help from hubby's inspired idea).

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great story--your hubby had such a helpful idea and you were so brave to face down your fear. Can't wait to see the Labyrinth result!

    ReplyDelete