Friday, March 15, 2013

String Fling

It's been a while since I made my first string quilt.  It was totally scrappy and the only sorting I did was to separate the lights and darks.


It was a great lesson to me that truly, anything goes in a string quilt.  It had everything from batiks to 30's repros, solids, stripes, florals, you name it.

Since then, whenever I have strips leftover from cutting or piecing, I  add them to a bin for future string quilts.

A fellow blogger, recently volunteered to collect  half  log cabin blocks made with "happy, bright, summer flower colors" for some charity quilts she is making.  I figured  I could come up with a "few" strips, so I pulled out the string  bin to have a look.
      Did I mention that "adding" strips to the bin means opening it up, stuffing them in and then closing it up quick?

I guess these strips have been building up a bit longer than I thought.  Anyhow, the requested blocks were supposed to have a yellow fabric in the block corner, so I started with that and picked the first strip for inspiration.

Then I pulled out a bunch of other strips that I thought would fit the bill.

Before I knew it, I had two happy, bright, flowery blocks to send off to Jeanne for her wonderful donation work.

A very enjoyable way to spend some quilting time, and the result was a couple of "free" blocks to go to a good cause.   In the interest of full disclosure, I'll add that after working with the soft neutrals of my last project, it was refreshing to get back to my beloved  jewel tones.

post signature

5 comments:

  1. I think these fabrics all look so great together! Very cheerful blocks! I'm sure they'll make a great addition to any quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great log cabin quarters for your donation. Are you going to keep making them since you have a nice strip supply?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun bright blocks -- thanks for participating!
    Jeanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. String quilts are fun to make and always turn out different from each other. I especially love bright colors too. I do love your sweet rose quilt tho. Your MIL will surely be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete