Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Snowman table runner


Apparently, Santa's elves are still busy in someone else's sewing room, so I had to sit down and make a few last minute gift items myself.

I remembered that my husband's brother and sister-in-law have a snowman theme going on at their house this time of year and decided to make them a snowman tablerunner.  (This idea popped into my head about 6:00 am on Sunday morning.)


I had a striped  fabric in my stash that included snowmen, so I cut out a few strips, then re-arranged them and sewed them back together.  (That's what we quilters do best, right?)

For the borders, I added a finishing stripe of the navy  snowmen.

With time running short, I couldn't sew the binding by hand, so I decided to attempt a machine binding.  I turned the white binding to the back and used many, many pins.
So. Many. Pins.

Then I picked a decorative stitch that reminded me of icicles, and I sewed all around from the front side.

I'm not going to show you a closeup of the back side, but let's just say that it will do.  I used the same white fabric for the backing and binding so it disguised it blended pretty darn well.

Here is what I ended up with:

I found a cute snowman cookie dish that matched and the two are going out in the mail.

Whew!


4 comments:

  1. What a great idea!! It came out great! It's a lovely gift and looks like you took your time planning it! If only they knew!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! Great idea for the stitch on the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely gift. I am very interested to see how you made your binding as I have been meaning to try that way.
    I'm sure your Sister-in-law will love these thoughtful gifts.

    ReplyDelete