Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Tra La! It's May!


With Mother's Day coming up, I figured it was time to get moving on the table runner I want to make for my mom.  I posted this picture of the fabrics back in February and they have been waiting patiently ever since.



My plan was to make a runner with a pattern that I saw on Quiltbug.com that looks like this:

I cut my fabrics and laid them out, but when I stood back and looked at them I wasn't crazy about it.

My eye kept being drawn the the brick red fabric rather than the floral in the center.  I decided to go with a different plan that could still use the strips that I had already cut. 

I sewed the strips together in new arrangement, adding more floral fabric to the mix:

Then I sub-cut it into strips,

and sewed them back together in a staggered pattern.

(Before sewing each pair, I turned one of the strips around 180 degrees so that the seam allowances would all be going in opposite directions.)

After sewing together and adding a few smaller strips to the ends, I ended up with this:

I really like how this new arrangement brings focus to the floral print and the brick red is more of a picture frame.  The two ends look incomplete without the dark border, but I will use the brick red as the binding and that will complete the frame.

Now I have 10 whole days just to get the binding sewn on. 

Raise your hand if you think I will still be sewing binding on the night before!  ( *raises hand*)

post signature

6 comments:

  1. Nice save. I am impressed. It's always hard to keep going when something is not turning out like you planned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! But I think you are going to surprise yourself and sew the binding on early!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful runner! While I think it would be pretty the original way, I do agree that the brick makes the colors stand out more. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty! You must be feeling better! Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the first way would have been fine, but what you did was so much better. It looks great and i may flatter you with immitation soon. I need to make a quick gift. Lane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Turned out so pretty. I'm pretty sure you'll be frantically finishing the last stitches on that binding just before the party.

    ReplyDelete