Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Still thinking....

I'm having a hard time deciding which way to go on the border for my Kaleidoscope quilt.  Ricky Tims' book shows so many options that it is hard to choose.

Check out the progress of these other quilt bloggers who have also been making this quilt:
   
    Carol at quiltfever is using a delicious looking citrus color palette.
    Patty at piecedgoods  has been industrious and made 3 different snowflake looks for her quilt.
     Lynda at quiltsbylynda has a fresh-as-spring kaleidoscope and is working on choosing her borders too.
     Kris at thequiltinggarden is just getting started on hers.  I can't wait to see what it will look like.

     Since I don't have any new quilt photos to share, I thought I'd share a photo of this:

It looks like a simple compact for face powder, but it holds a secret.  Look inside:

Pins!  And mighty sharp ones at that.  I opened a new package of "fine" pins for this project so that I could reduce the wear and tear on the bias edges of the fabric when pinning them together.  The pins came in a teeny tiny plastic box:

I felt clumsy every time I had to  reach in and get just one pin at a time.  (and those pins really are sharp!)

The other morning,  I dropped the compact on the floor, and what was left of the powder inside cracked and fell out.  I had one of those "A-ha!" moments and decided it would make a good alternative pin box.

I like to keep the label with the pins for future reference, so I just taped it inside the lid.  A great recycled pin box, and it makes a satisfying *tink* sound when I drop the pins back in.

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Good idea for re cycling. I find that I have to buy new pins every now and then because they are sharp when you get them but get dull after while, I guess it is just like needles, they get dull after while too.
    Can't wait to see your quilt.

    ReplyDelete