Thursday, March 3, 2011

Choosing the background

I brought one wedge of the Kaleidoscope with me to the quilt shop to pick a background fabric.  I found a beautiful blue that co-ordinated nicely with all the colors.

After I draped the piece behind the not-yet-sewn wedges I wasn't sure if it set off the kaleidoscope enough.  I photoshopped the picture to replace the blue with a darker color and got this, which I like much better:

So, I'm going to use a black batik fabric for the background. 

No more excuses now.... I have to actually attempt sewing these wedges together!

I found another blogger who is also working on the Kaleidoscope quilt.  Her name is Lynda and you can see her progress here.


post signature

5 comments:

  1. I agree the darker fabric will show off the medallion better. Have you thought about a border yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the darker fabric too! Your 'stars' show up so nicely against it! Thanks for finding yet another kaleidoscoper! Maybe we should now be calling this a quilt a long :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really looking nice! I like the darker fabric as well. Can't wait to see how you will quilt this:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your right...the darker fabric really does put some umphf to the star. I used a couple of the fabrics from the star part that I liked. I'm planning on using the leftovers for the border, how about you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Auntie Em - How exciting to see one close to being done!! And I agree the black batik REALLY sets off the colors of the medallion!! Can't wait to see your finished piece!! I'm looking forward to starting mine!! Kris

    ReplyDelete