Sunday, February 14, 2010

I've been on a treasure hunt.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I've become interested in tracing the family tree. I got a  2-week free trial on a genealogy search website, and I've been gaining as much information as I can into these  last 2 weeks. What a fascinating experience it has been!


I searched my own family tree back about 3 generations before I got stuck.  Then I started on my husband's family.  (That's his grandparents pictured on the left.)  I was plugging along at a snail's pace and then I came across an entry that tied my husband's family tree into another.  They were long lost relatives about 10 times removed of course, and I don't know who did the research, but with their help I was able to trace his family tree back several generations in Canada and then a couple more into France. There were names and dates from the 1600's!  What an unbelievable treat!

This weekend I talked to my inlaws and shared what I had found. I was able to show my mother-in-law a copy of her birth and baptismal record as well as her mother's and her father's. She was thrilled, and told me it gave her goosebumps.

The only problem I have right now is figuring out how to document all that I have found.  Once you get beyond a couple of generations there are so many names to keep straight and organized.  What a fun problem to have, though. 









post signature

3 comments:

  1. Those pictures are so special. How amazing to find all that information. My mum was bitten by the family history bug a few months ago and has found out so much about our family also.

    Maybe she could give you some tips? Sam xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter does a lot of family history. Not sure how far back she has gotten. My mom's family is hard to trace. He mom came from France and her dad came from Columbia. It is all very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! I'm glad you're having so much luck. The adrenalin rush when we find things is amazing isn't it? I also recently found a newspaper site I've been looking for for awhile and I was so excited I couldn't sleep.

    Try typing stuff in here

    http://news.google.ca/archivesearch/advanced_search?ned=ca&hl=en

    For US papers you may have to change the .ca to a .com I found my grandfather visiting his ill mother in small town Ontario in 1910. Most of the Canadian articles I've found have been free to view. Some of the US papers want you to pay to view the article.

    ReplyDelete